Saturday, August 15, 2020

Fly Fishing - August 2020

 

The summer heat wave has descended on us. We woke  yesterday morning, Friday, and I surprised the Lady with, "Let's go fly fishing today." Thigh deep in a cold mountain stream, fly rod in hand, was an irresistible notion. And why not? A 30 minute drive from home and a two mile hike in put me on new water, water always on my list, patiently waiting its turn.  And, we knew the trailhead area would be insanely packed on the coming weekend, especially a hot weekend with the crazy masses flocking to any kind of water. This would be only at the trailhead, the two mile hike pretty much eliminates others getting into our spot.

 

This water is the mountain stream of your dreams. Old growth sugar pines line the bank, their earring like cones dangling from the tips of long branches shading the water. I expected the Lady would make a nest along the river and read and nap and close her eyes and listen to the sounds. She did not. She waded behind me enjoying the hunt, watching the study of insects and trout lies and making the cast. She only had to climb two alders to retrieve the snagged dry fly from an errant backcast. She loves to see the rise of a trout and the take. The small rainbows danced and pranced across the water before coming to hand for their careful release. The Lady insists on the careful release. Her enthusiasm more than matched mine.

 

I have never seen another angler on this stretch of water. I fly fished three hours and covered maybe 400 yards of water. I worked on my technique on the quiet long runs where a gentle presentation was key. The rhythm was there. I can still hear the sound of flowing cold water in my mind and feel the pulsing cold on my legs.

 

There is no better exercise for balance and strength than wading in a mountain stream, climbing over logs and rocks, watching each foot placement, fighting the current, staying low in the shadows, making a cast. The Lady got extra points for tree climbing. I used one fly, a well dressed size 18 caddis dry. I still have it, a bit torn up but now a treasure to stir up memories.

 

The day was perfect, the only mar the fact we forgot and left the camera on the counter at home when we left.

 

And where is this stream? Locked properly away with so many other secrets.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh, the mystery. So glad you got away. This heat is brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, thanks for your nice comment. Yup, it is hot. We hope you can find a quiet lonely mountain stream where you can wade into cold water and wash all your cares away!

      Delete
  2. From A River Runs Through It, by Norman Maclean: "In my family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing."

    I've always wondered what is being worshipped: the act of fishing, the fish, or the stream? Reading your posts, I think an answer may be rising to the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe, when asked the question, "Religious Preference" I'll just write in fly fishing from now on. Thanks for the comment, Dan!

      Delete
  3. Your words were picturesque enough that you didn’t need a camera!

    ReplyDelete